More knitting content. This time I bring you some finished projects. Jackie suspected that having all the time in the world to knit is what caused my right wrist to hurt this weekend. I wrapped my hand in bandage overnight to avoid unnecessary movement during sleep and it helped. Still, I’m taking it slow.
This is my favourite part of sock knitting: grafting the toe!
Technically, I knitted 3 socks out of the leftover grey Primo, but only the matching pair will be shown here. First, the boring flat photo of the set. It’s so simple: short cuff then you split for the heel and work as for any other socks. It goes so quickly too since you don’t do an awful lot on the leg.
It fits the recipient’s feet, but she said it still feels loose around the cuff. So next time, I will go down to 2mm needles and keep the 60sts, or stay with 2.5mm and go to 54sts. Must check the leftover sock yarn bin.
The gusset decreases were kept at the bottom of the feet, to keep the heel and side smooth in plain stockinette. It looks weird because the decreases didn’t meet. If I had kept going until the ssk and k2tog were next to each other, I think the foot of the sock would have fit better.
The toe on the first sock I made looked more anatomically correct and I loved it. This one had to be modified to fit a longer toe. Problems in this pair will be fixed in future pairs. I’m not sweating it because these were done from leftover sock yarn and will be hidden in sneakers anyway. They’ll serve their purpose so I’m good with that.
Project: Ankle Socks (Raveled!)
Pattern: Super Simple Short Socks by Meghann Holcomb
Needle: US 1½ – 2.5 mm
Yarn: The Plucky Knitter Primo MCN 75/20/5
How much: 0.9 skeins = 346.5 yards
Colorway: Thornfield Hall
Cast on: 10 Jun 2011
Cast off: 1 July 2011
The second FO is a pullover. The UAE Amiras have a running KAL based on designs by Cecily Glowik MacDonald and it is going so well. This is my first FO for the KAL. Even Luca loves the feel of the Pashmina!
Thanks to my daughter Eileen for the photos. I love it! I wore it to knitting meet up but it was the wrong decision. It was too goddamn hot at the cafe and I didn’t bring any change of clothes so I had to suffer. Boo.
I changed the k-1/rb’s into kfb’s. I like the look better and it didn’t really require any brainpower.
The neckline is made of a woven stitch band, finished off by a row of purl and bound off knit-wise. I like that it is shallow but still okay enough to not require a vest underneath.
The cuff is finished the same way as the neck. I didn’t follow the stitch count for the sleeves for my size because my arms are not your typical size. The good thing with this pullover is that you can try it on as you go so I was able to get the fit that I wanted. I love that Cecily’s designs are so easy to follow and are very wearable. My next one will be the Augusta cardigan from the New England Knits book.
Project: Whitewater (Raveled!)
Pattern: Breakwater by Cecily Glowik MacDonald
Needle: US 5 – 3.75 mm, US 7 – 4.5 mm
Yarn: Madelinetosh Pashmina
How much: 3 skeins = 1080.0 yards
Cast on: 22 May 2011
Cast off: 30 Jun 2011