I have given up on making resolutions because they never get done. Instead I make goals. Like I did last year for my knitting, and I quote:
- Go on a yarn diet – seriously. I am in 6 yarn clubs which will keep me supplied with yummy colourways all year round on top of the stash I already have. Uh, what yarn diet? Okay, I may have cheated but I did go for a full 30 days without buying anything.
- Knit and finish a sweater for myself. The February Lady Sweater is the first one I will tackle. Done and done! I actually knitted two sweaters for myself.
- Knit and finish an Adamas Shawl. Sadly, I have not even touched the yarn I bought for this project. This will be brought forward to my 2010 queue.
- Knit and finish a pair of socks at least once a month. This is my biggest accomplishment and I am proud to say that I completed not 12, but 20 pairs of hand-knitted socks in 2009!
- Knit Christmas gifts and start on them ASAP. Fail! I should not have started with the Neverending Scarf! But I did the Family of Socks and a shawl for my mother-in-law.
- Learn to read charts and knit from them without transcribing. Done! I feel so much better knowing that I can look at a chart and not run away like it’s the plague.
- Also organise my pattern folder into types of garment and also create a do-able knitting schedule. Done. I accumulated a lot more patterns actually and they are in a perpetual state of being organised.
- 20 pairs of socks – Even I am stunned! This includes 3 pairs of Leyburns btw and one pair was a swap item.
- 11 hats – My go-to project if I wanted a quick knit.
- 7 shawls – I didn’t realize I knitted this many shawls last year
- 3 scarves – Felt more like 20 because of the Striped Noro!
- 3 pairs of gloves – And I want to make more!
- 2 sweaters – My Liesl is not pictured here.
- 2 pairs of baby booties – Cutest things ever.
- 2 mobile phone cozies – My first fly-by-the-seat-of-my-pants projects
- 1 vest – My first one and I enjoyed knitting it
- 1 shrug – Sadly didn’t go to the intended recipient so if there is someone out there with a newborn baby girl or know someone who is expecting then give me a shout and this shrug is yours!
- 1 toy – The project done with the most love and care as it went to my son Patrick.
So clearly, 2009 was the Year of Socks for me. I don’t think I will ever get tired of socks though and my personal challenge and goal for 2010 is to knit all of the Rockin’ Sock Club kits for 2009 starting with the scariest one of all – Queen of Beads!
Whilst my love affair with the socks will no doubt continue, I have a feeling 2010 is going to be the Year of Shawls for me.
What does your 2010 knitting queue look like?